Video evidence shows 23-year-old Matthew Mark Wood, carrying a Trump flag, was among the first dozen people to climb into a broken window that day. Wood is accused of being inside the Capitol for more than an hour video obtained from inside the U.S. Capitol Rotunda that shows Wood parading, demonstrating, and picketing. It also shows Wood waving and encouraging others to engage and confront law enforcement as they attempt to push rioters back and clear the Rotunda.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Matthew Mark
- Last Name(s): Wood
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-223
- Arrest Location: Winston Salem, NC
- Judge: Robin M. Meriweather
- Entry Last Updated: 07/27/2021
- Date Docket Downloaded: 08/11/2021
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Matthew Mark Wood's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Obstruction of an Official Proceeding and Aiding and Abetting; Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Entering and Remaining in Certain Rooms in the Capitol Building; Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building; Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Arrested on 3/5/2021. Initial appearance held 3/11. Indicted 3/17 and arraigned 3/23 where he pleaded not guilty to counts 1-6. Status conference set for 8/3 at 9 am. Defendant remains on personal recognizance.
Channing D. Phillips OR David Freedman
In the news
- FBI: NC man says he was swept up in Capitol riot, but video shows otherwise. He was arrested in Winston-Salem.