There are multiple images of Thurlow inside the U.S. Capitol. In a Facebook post before January 6th, he posted an image of himself in tactical gear with an AR-15, donning a “Boogaloo” logo on the center of his bullet proof vest. The caption reads “Ahhhh, nothing like a new pair of 511’s and fresh set of level IV Sapi’s in the plate carrier to go “peacefully protest” with.” His activity before entry is not detailed in his charging documents.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Steven
- Last Name(s): Thurlow
- Case Number: 1:21-mj-494
- Arrest Location: Saint Clair Shores, MI
- Judge: Robin M. Meriweather
- Judge: Paul L. Friedman
- Entry Last Updated: 08/05/2022
- Date Docket Downloaded: 08/17/2021
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Steven Thurlow's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Knowingly Entering or Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Arrested 6/30/21. Initial appearance held 7/6/21, was released on personal recognizance. Entered a plea of not guilty as to all counts on 10/19/21. On 5/9/22, he entered a guilty plea as to count 4. There is a sentencing hearing currently scheduled for August 30, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. via Zoom videoconference. He remains on Personal Recognizance Bond.
Mitra Jafary-Hariri DOJ-USAO-211 W. Fort Street, Ste 2001 Detroit, MI 48226 313 226 [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY-ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED-Designation: US Assistant Attorney
- #1 SEALED COMPLAINT as to STEVEN THURLOW (1).
- #1 a) Statement of Facts
- #3 MOTION to Seal Case by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #4 ORDER granting 3 Motion to Seal Case as to STEVEN THURLOW (1). Signed by Magistrate Judge Robin M. Meriweather on 06/24/2021
- #5 Arrest Warrant Returned Executed on 6/30/2021 in Saint Clair Shores, MI as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #8 ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to STEVEN THURLOW (1) Personal Recognizance. Signed by Magistrate Judge G. Michael Harvey on 7/6/2021.
- #9 Consent MOTION to Continue Preliminary Hearing/Status Conference and for Excludable Delay by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #11 ORDER granting 9 Motion to Continue Status Hearing as to STEVEN THURLOW (1). Status Hearing continued to 10/7/2021 at 1:00 PM by Telephonic/VTC before Magistrate Judge G. Michael Harvey. Signed by Magistrate Judge Robin M. Meriweather on 8/25/2021.
- #12 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE: Jonathan Miles Epstein, I appearing for STEVEN THURLOW (Main Document 12 replaced with PDF copy on 10/6/2021)
- #13 ENTERED IN ERROR.NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL Attorney Gerometta, James added. Substituting for attorney Johnathan Epstein Modified on 4/13/2022
- #13 INFORMATION as to STEVEN THURLOW (1) count(s) 1, 2, 3. (On 10/26/21, Count 4 added)
- #15 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE: Jonathan Miles Epstein, I appearing for STEVEN THURLOW
- #17 Consent MOTION for Protective Order by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #18 Consent MOTION for Disclosure of 6(e) and Sealed Materials by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #19 ORDER as to STEVEN THURLOW (1) granting  government's unopposed motion for an order to disclose items protected by FRCP 6(e) and sealed materials. Signed by Judge Paul L. Friedman on November 4, 2021.
- #20 ORDER as to STEVEN THURLOW (1) granting  government's unopposed motion for protective order. Signed by Judge Paul L. Friedman on November 4, 2021.
- #21 Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to STEVEN THURLOW from US District Court Eastern District of Michigan (Detroit) Case Number 2:21-mj-30321- DUTY
- #23 STATUS REPORT Regarding Discovery by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW
- #24 Joint MOTION to Exclude Time from the Speedy Trial Clock and Adjourn Plea Hearing to April 11, 2022 at 3 p.m. by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #25 ORDER as to STEVEN THURLOW (1) granting  the parties' joint motion for excludable delay. The status conference/plea hearing currently scheduled for February 25, 2022 is CONTINUED to April 11, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. In the interest of justice, the Speedy Trial Act is tolled up through April 11, 2022. Signed by Judge Paul L. Friedman on February 24, 2022.
- #27 NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL Attorney Gerometta, James added. Substituting for attorney Johnathan Epstein
- #28 Joint MOTION for Speedy Trial Exclusion by USA as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #29 NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL as to USA. Attorney Rocha, Sarah Wilson added. Substituting for attorney Mitra Jafary-Hariri
- #31 PLEA AGREEMENT as to STEVEN THURLOW.
- #32 STATEMENT OF OFFENSE by STEVEN THURLOW
- #35 REFERRAL ORDER as to STEVEN THURLOW, referring Mr. Thurlow's pretrial violation matter to Magistrate Judge Harvey for determination of the matter, including consideration of whether to modify, revoke, or terminate Mr. Thurlow's conditions of supervised release. See Order for details. Signed by Judge Paul L. Friedman on July 14, 2022.
- #36 PRETRIAL MEMORANDUM Regarding Alleged Release Violations by STEVEN THURLOW
- #37 PRETRIAL MEMORANDUM Update by STEVEN THURLOW
In the news
- Coming soon