Upon being asked how he felt about what happened on January 6th, Kelly stated that he felt “conflicted,” as “… you violate someone else’s space … force your way into a building … in some ways that really feels wrong … but, … that [space] really does belong to us.” KELLY continued, “… that should only be an absolute last resort … maybe we shouldn’t have done that … it’s just, you come to the end of your rope … and you get swept up in a movement … and there’s a bunch of people running and doing this … it’s not the logical mind that’s working anymore … you’re just reacting to things and, finally, there’s a chance that you can be heard … we took that chance … God will judge us … perhaps I did something wrong … I tried to be as respectful as I could while I was in there, you know, while still saying what I felt needed to be said.” There is no evidence of any violence committed by Kelly.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Leo
- Last Name(s): Kelly
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-708
- Arrest Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
- Judge: Zia M. Faruqui
- Judge: Royce Lamberth
- Entry Last Updated: 07/07/2021
- Date Docket Downloaded: 09/25/2021
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Leo Kelly's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Obstruction of an Official Proceeding (1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority (2) Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds (3) Entering and Remaining on the Floor of Congress (4) Entering and Remaining in Certain Rooms in the Capitol Building (5) Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building (6) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building (7)
Arrested 1/18/21. Initial appearance held 2/9. Defendant remains on personal recognizance. The next status hearing is 7/21/22 at 12 45 virtually.
- Docket Download-7.14.21
- #3-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY from US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- #5-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE- Kira Anne West appearing for LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #7-ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #8-Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #10-Arrest Warrant, dated 1.16.2021, returned executed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on 2.9.2021 as to Defendant LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #11-Consent MOTION to Continue Preliminary hearing by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY.
- #12-ORDER Granting 11 Consent MOTION to Continue Preliminary hearing by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #13-Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #14-ORDER granting 13 Motion to Continue Status Hearing as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #16-Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY.
- #17-ORDER Granting 16 Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #18-NOTICE of discovery letter by LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #20-Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #21-NOTICE OF FILING by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #22-ORDER Granting 20 Consent MOTION to Continue by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #23-NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL as to USA
- #24-Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order GOVERNING DISCOVERY by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #26-Unopposed MOTION for Disclosure ITEMS PROTECTED BY FEDERAL RULE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 6(e) AND SEALED MATERIALS by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #27-INDICTMENT as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #32-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE
- #34-NOTICE OF FILING MEMORANDA REGARDING STATUS OF DISCOVERY AS OF FEBRUARY 9, 2022 by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
- #36-NOTICE OF FILING DEFENDANT'S SIGNED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE PROTECTIVE ORDER by USA as to LEO CHRISTOPHER KELLY
In the news
- Coming soon