Grant and Ryan Samsel allegedly lifted police barricades outside the Capitol. Meanwhile, someone jumped over them and the crowd proceeded to run through the area. Grant allegedly stopped an officer who grabbed a protester’s shoulders as he crossed the police line.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): James
- Last Name(s): Grant
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-00537
- Arrest Location: Cary, NC
- Judge: Robin Meriweather
- Judge: Jia Cobb (Current)
- Entry Last Updated: 05/18/2022
- Date Docket Downloaded: 04/28/2022
- Currently Incarcerated: Yes
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover James Grant's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Assaulting, Resisting, or Impeding Certain Officers Using a Dangerous Weapon or Inflicting Bodily Injury (1) Civil Disorder (2) Obstruction of an Official Proceeding (3) Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds (4) Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds (5) Entering and Remaining in Certain Rooms in the Capitol Building (6) Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building (7) Act of Physical Violence in the Capitol Grounds or Buildings (8) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Grant was arrested on 10/14/21 and appeared in court on 10/20/21. On 12/15/21 case #21-mj-00618 was closed and merged with #21-cr-00537. He entered a plea of not guilty as to all counts on 1/18/2022. His last status conference was on 5/3. He remains incarcerated. A pre-trial conference takes place on 2/24/23 at 10am and a jury trial begins on 3/6/23 at 9am.
Christopher Amore DOJ-USAO District of New Jersey 970 Broad Street Ste 700 Newark, NJ 07102 973-645-2757 Email: [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: Assistant U.S. Attorney
Please note: Prisoner mail is reviewed by guards. Please keep messages of encouragement to a general and/or religious nature. For example, do not mention the events of Jan. 6th or other current events under criminal investigation.
- James Tate Grant et al NEW CASE #21-cr-00537 starting at #69 (SECOND SUPERSEDING INDICTMENT) as of 04/28/2022
- James Tate Grant CASE CLOSED #21-mj-00618 Docket Sheet as of 04/28/2022
- #1-SEALED COMPLAINT as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #3-MOTION to Seal Case by USA as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #4-ORDER granting 3 Motion to Seal Case as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #5-Arrest Warrant Returned Executed on 10.14.2021 in Cary, North Carolina as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #6-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to JAMES TATE GRANT from United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- #9-ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to JAMES TATE GRANT (1) Personal Recognizance
- #69-SECOND SUPERSEDING INDICTMENT as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT
- #71-MOTION to set Status Conference by RYAN SAMSEL as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT_
- #72-ORDER granting Unopposed Motion for Protective Order as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #74-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Christopher Amore appearing for USA
- #75-Joint STATUS REPORT by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT
- #78-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Hava Arin Levenson Mirell appearing for USA
- #79-NOTICE by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT
- #86-ORDER as to JAMES TATE GRANT
- #89-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Robert Craig Juman appearing for USA
- #115-NOTICE of Filing Discovery Correspondence by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT, PAUL RUSSELL JOHNSON, STEPHEN CHASE RANDOLPH, JASON BENJAMIN BLYTHE
- #116-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Karen E. Rochlin appearing for USA_
- #131-MOTION for Speedy Trial Excludable Time by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT, PAUL RUSSELL JOHNSON, STEPHEN CHASE RANDOLPH, JASON BENJAMIN BLYTHE_
- #153-NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF APPEARANCE by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT, PAUL RUSSELL JOHNSON, STEPHEN CHASE RANDOLPH, JASON BENJAMIN BLYTHE
- #154-NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF APPEARANCE by USA as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT, PAUL RUSSELL JOHNSON, STEPHEN CHASE RANDOLPH, JASON BENJAMIN BLYTHE
- #155-PRETRIAL ORDER as to RYAN SAMSEL, JAMES TATE GRANT, PAUL RUSSELL JOHNSON, STEPHEN CHASE RANDOLPH and JASON BENJAMIN BLYTHE
In the news
- Coming soon