Messer stated on social media that he walked into the Capitol. He is seen walking through the building, filming a video. There is no evidence he engaged in violence.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Walter J.
- Last Name(s): Messer
- Case Number: 21-cr-631
- Arrest Location: Dayton, OH
- Judge: Robin Meriweather
- Judge: Timothy Kelly
- Entry Last Updated: 08/03/2023
- Date Docket Downloaded: 08/27/2021
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Walter J. Messer's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Knowingly Entering or Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority (1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority (2) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds (3) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in any of the Capitol Buildings (4)
Messer was arrested on 7/8/21. Released on personal recognizance on 8/13/21. Entered a plea of not guilty as to all counts on 11/4/21. Plea Agreement Hearing held on 6/12/23, entered a plea of guilty as to Count 4. Sentencing set for 9/11/2023 at 3:30 PM before Judge Timothy J. Kelly.
Anne Veldhuis Department of Justice 1355 El Camino Real, Unit 828 Redwood City, CA 94063, 415-307-6722 Email: [email protected], LEAD ATTORNEY, ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: Assistant US Attorney
Walter J. Messer's Mailing Address
Please note: Prisoner mail is reviewed by guards. Please keep messages of encouragement to a general and/or religious nature. For example, do not mention the events of Jan. 6th or other current events under criminal investigation.
- #1-COMPLAINT as to WALTER J. MESSER
- #3-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to WALTER J. MESSER
- #6-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE-Sabrina P. Shroff appearing for WALTER J. MESSER
- #7-ORDER Setting Conditions of Bond- Defendant WALTER J. MESSER
- #8 INFORMATION as to WALTER J. MESSER (1) count(s) 1, 2, 3, 4, THERESE BORGERDING (2) count(s) 1, 2, 3, 4.
- #19 Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order by USA as to WALTER J. MESSER, THERESE BORGERDING.
- #21 MOTION for Protective Order by USA as to WALTER J. MESSER.
- #23 ORDER as to WALTER J. MESSER (1) granting  Motion for Protective Order. See Order for details. Signed by Judge Timothy J. Kelly on 01/18/2022
- #24 Consent MOTION to Continue Status Conference, Consent MOTION for Speedy Trial -Toll Speedy Trial through 5/20/22 by THERESE BORGERDING.
- #24 a) Text of Proposed Order
- #26 MOTION to Continue status conference by WALTER J. MESSER as to WALTER J. MESSER, THERESE BORGERDING.
- #28 NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL Attorney Smock, Edward added.
- #29 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Joseph Scott McFarlane appearing for USA.
- #30 Unopposed MOTION to Continue July 15, 2022 Status Hearing by WALTER J. MESSER as to WALTER J. MESSER, THERESE BORGERDING.
- #34-Unopposed MOTION to Continue Status Hearing by WALTER J. MESSER as to WALTER J. MESSER, THERESE BORGERDING
- #40 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Francesco Valentini appearing for USA
- #41 NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF APPEARANCE by USA as to WALTER J. MESSER, THERESE BORGERDING
- #49 PLEA AGREEMENT as to WALTER J. MESSER
- #50 STATEMENT OF OFFENSE by USA as to WALTER J. MESSER
- #51 WAIVER of Trial by Jury as to WALTER J. MESSER (1). Approved by Judge Timothy J. Kelly on 6/12/2023
- #53 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Sonia Williams Murphy appearing for USA
In the news
- Coming soon