Capsel took Tik Tok videos of himself right outside of the Capitol Building. It is unclear if he entered the building. After the event, at around 6:23 PM. he is seen in a Tik Tok video getting into a physical altercation with National Guardsmen until getting pepper sprayed.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Matthew
- Last Name(s): Capsel
- Case Number: 1:21-mj-122
- Arrest Location: Southern District, IL
- Judge: Robin M. Meriweather
- Entry Last Updated: 08/13/2021
- Date Docket Downloaded: 09/24/2021
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Matthew Capsel's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; and knowingly engages in any physical violence against any person or property in any restricted building or grounds; or attempts or conspires to do so; Forcibly assaulted, resisted, opposed, impeded, intimidated, or interfered with any officer or employee of the United States or of any agency in any branch of the United States Government (including any member of the uniformed services) while engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties; Committed or attempted to commit any act to obstruct, impede, or interfere with law enforcement officer lawfully engaged in the lawful performance of his official duties incident to and during the commission of a civil disorder which in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or adversely affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce or the conduct or performance of any federally protected function.
Arrested 1/26/21. Initial appearance 2/4/21. Defendant placed on personal recognizance with a curfew. Status hearing set for 9/13 at 1 pm.
In the news
- Coming soon