John Earle Sullivan (born July 18, 1994), also known as Jayden X, or Activist John, is a political activist, alleged agitator at the January 6 Capitol riot, and photojournalist from Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. By May 2021, Sullivan faced eight charges for his involvement in the siege, centered around an allegation he instigated rioters so he could video the violence for later sale to news outlets. The film he produced on this occasion and released on Youtube was noted for its documentary and evidentiary value.
Prior to this, Sullivan has organized and participated in various protests and counterprotests (which took place in relation to the Black Lives Matter movement), some with incidents of violence, during which he has also made documentary footage. According to some cultural observers, the first-person recordings taken by Sullivan have traits of gonzo journalism.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): John Earle
- Last Name(s): Sullivan
- AKA: Jayden X; Activist John; Jayden Xander
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-78
- Arrest Location: Salt Lake City, UT
- Judge: Robin M. Meriweather
- Entry Last Updated: 08/02/2021
- Date Docket Downloaded: 08/19/2021
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover John Earle Sullivan's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Obstruction of an Official Proceeding; Civil Disorder; Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building; Parading, Demonstrating, o rPicketing in a Capitol Building; Aiding and Abetting
Initial appearance in the District of Utah at 4pm on 1/15/2021. Sullivan was indicted on 2/3/21 and pleaded not guilty to counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Defendant remains on personal recognizance bond and has status conference set for 7/29/21 at 1 pm.
Channing D. Phillips Michael R. Sherwin
Information on Writing/Encouragement
- Sullivan Superseding Indictment
- Sullivan - Indictment
- Sullivan - Complaint Affidavit
- Sullivan - Criminal Complaint
In the news
- Man who shot video of fatal Capitol shooting is arrested, remains focus of political storm
- Utah Man Charged in Federal Court Following Events at the United States Capitol
- Activist previously arrested during police protests in Utah charged in Capitol riots
- Utah activist in Capitol riot sold his video to CNN, NBC for $35K each, court docs say
- U.S. seizes $90,000 from man who sold footage of U.S. Capitol riot
- Capitol rioter John Sullivan pleads not guilty, wants $90K back from DOJ
- Accused left-wing Capitol activist John Sullivan facing new charges
- WHAT ACTIVIST SAW ON CAPITOL HILL