James Mels told FBI officers he entered the Capitol to read the Constitution to officers and have “his voice heard.”
He showed them images of himself inside the building. It doesn’t appear he engaged in violence.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): James
- Last Name(s): Mels
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-184
- Arrest Location: Roseville, MI
- Judge: Beryl Howell
- Entry Last Updated: 04/27/2022
- Date Docket Downloaded: 04/27/2022
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover James Mels's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building (1) Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building (2) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building; Parading (3) Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building (4)
Mels was arrested on 2/11/21 and appeared in court on the same day. Released on personal recognizance on 02/22/21. He pleaded not guilty to all counts on 03/05/21. Jury Selection/Jury Trial scheduled for 8/29/2022; at 9:00 AM in Courtroom 22A- In Person before Chief Judge Beryl A.
Adam Alexander DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE-FBI United States Attorney's Office-Federal Building and United States Courthouse 222 W 7th Avenue, #9 RM 253 Anchorage, AK 99501 907 271 [email protected] ATTORNEY-ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: US Assistant Attorney-
Gregory Paul Rosen US ATTORNEY'S OFFICE FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 555 Fourth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20530 202 252 6932-FAX 202 514 [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY- ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED-Designation: US Assistant Attorney
Monica Anne Stump
Monica Anne Stump DOJ-USAO 555 4th Street NW Washington, DC 20530 (618) 622-3860 Email: [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: Assistant U.S. Attorney
Please note: Prisoner mail is reviewed by guards. Please keep messages of encouragement to a general and/or religious nature. For example, do not mention the events of Jan. 6th or other current events under criminal investigation.
- James Allen Mels Docket Sheet as of 04/27/2022
- #1-SEALED COMPLAINT as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #3-MOTION to Seal Case by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #4-ORDER granting 3 Motion to Seal Case as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #6-ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #7-SEALED INFORMATION as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #9-MOTION to Unseal Case by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #10-STANDING ORDER, as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #11-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Adam Alexander appearing for USA
- #12-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE- Cara Kurtz Halverson appearing for JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #13-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to JAMES ALLEN MELS from US District Court Eastern District of Michigan Southern Division
- #15-Arrest Warrant, dated 2.10.2021, returned executed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on 2.22.2021 as to Defendant JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #18-NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL as to USA. Attorney Stump, Monica Anne added.
- #19-Unopposed MOTION for Disclosure of Items Protected by Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 6(e) and Sealed Materials by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #20-Joint MOTION to Continue September 24, 2021 Status Hearing and, MOTION to Exclude Time Under the Speedy Trial Act by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #21-NOTICE of Filing Discovery Correspondence by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #22-NOTICE of Filing Discovery Correspondence by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #23-Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order Governing Discovery by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #24-PROTECTIVE ORDER as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #25-NOTICE of United States' Memorandum Regarding Status of Discovery as of September 14, 2021 by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #26-NOTICE of United States' Memorandum Regarding Status of Discovery as of October 21, 2021 by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #27-Joint MOTION to Continue NOVEMBER 19, 2021 STATUS HEARING AND, MOTION to Exclude TIME UNDER THE SPEEDY TRIAL ACT by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS.
- #28-NOTICE of United States' Memorandum Regarding Status of Discovery as of November 5, 2021 by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #29-Joint MOTION to Continue January 7, 2022 Status Hearing and, MOTION to Exclude Time Under the Speedy Trial Act by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS_
- #31-NOTICE of United States' Memorandum Regarding Status of Discovery as of February 9, 2022 by USA as to JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #32-Unopposed MOTION to Continue Status Hearing and Toll STA by JAMES ALLEN MELS
- #33-NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL as to USA
- #35-NOTICE OF SUBSTITUTION OF COUNSEL Attorney Mullin, Elizabeth Ann added
- #36-NOTICE of Parties' Response to Minute Order by JAMES ALLEN MELS re Order
- #38-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Douglas Burton Brasher appearing for USA
- #39-Unopposed MOTION to Continue Pre Trial Conference and Trial Dates to Originally Scheduled Dates of August 19 and August 29, 2022 by JAMES ALLEN MELS_
In the news
- Coming soon