Mazza is accused of bringing an unregistered weapon to the Capitol. Laws for carrying a firearm outside of one’s home or business are extremely strict in DC.
Mazza told FBI he was outside the Lower West Archway when the crowd of Trump supporters was pepper sprayed by police. He hid behind a door as this happened, and was smashed behind it due to the pressing of the crowd. During this time, he lost the weapon and reported it stolen to DC police. (Police allege the report was false.)
Mazza believed Antifa was inside the building and attacking police when he arrived. He was concerned about the missing gun because he did not want them to misuse it.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Mark
- Last Name(s): Mazza
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-736
- Arrest Location: Shelbyville, IN
- Judge: James Boasberg
- Entry Last Updated: 11/19/2022
- Date Docket Downloaded: 01/30/2022
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support Mark Mazza: Click here to help cover Mark's legal and living expenses
CIVIL DISORDER; Civil Disorder (1) TAMPERING WITH A WITNESS, VICTIM OR INFORMANT; Obstruction of an Official Proceeding (Congress) and Aiding and Abetting (2) TAMPERING WITH A WITNESS, VICTIM OR INFORMANT; Obstruction of an Official Proceeding (Grand Jury) (3) ASSAULTING/RESISTING/IMPEDING OFFICERS/EMPLOYEES; Assaulting, Resisting, or Impeding Certain Officers Using a Deadly or Dangerous Weapon (4) TEMPORARY RESIDENCE OF THE PRESIDENT; Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds with a Deadly or Dangerous Weapon (5) TEMPORARY RESIDENCE OF THE PRESIDENT; Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds with a Deadly or Dangerous Weapon (6) TEMPORARY RESIDENCE OF THE PRESIDENT; Engaging in Physical Violence in a Restricted Building with a Deadly or Dangerous Weapon (7) VIOLENT ENTRY AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT ON CAPITOL GROUNDS; Unlawful Possession of a Firearm on Capitol Grounds or Buildings (8) VIOLENT ENTRY AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT ON CAPITOL GROUNDS; Act of Physical Violence in the Capitol Grounds or Buildings (9) FIREARMS, UNLAWFUL POSSESSION; Carrying a Pistol Without a License (Outside Home or Place of Business) (10) FEDERAL STATUTES, OTHER; Possession of Unregistered Firearm (11) FEDERAL STATUTES, OTHER; Unlawful Possession of Ammunition (12) 22 D.C. Code 3211, 3212(b)(2001 ed.); THEFT; Second Degree Theft (13)
Mazza was arrested on 11/17 and indicted on 12/15. He was ordered detained on 12/30. His next status hearing takes place on 1/31 at 2pm.
Tejpal Chawla USAO-DC 555 Fourth Street, NW Washington, DC 20530 202 252 7280 [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: US Assistant Attorney
Mark Mazza Correctional Treatment Facility-DC CTF 1901 D Street, SE Washington, DC 20003
Please note: Prisoner mail is reviewed by guards. Please keep messages of encouragement to a general and/or religious nature. For example, do not mention the events of Jan. 6th or other current events under criminal investigation.
- #1-Criminal Complaint as to Matthew Mazza
- #3-MOTION to Seal Case by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #4-ORDER granting 3 Motion to Seal Case as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #5-MOTION to Unseal Case by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #6-ORDER Granting 5 MOTION to Unseal Case by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #7-AMENDED Criminal Complaint by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #9-Arrest Warrant, dated 11.12.2021, Returned Executed on 11.17.2021 as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #10-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #12-INDICTMENT as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #14-MOTION for Detention Pending Trial by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #17-NOTICE of Filing by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #18-Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #19-Unopposed MOTION for Disclosure by USA as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #20-ORDER granting and entering 18 Motion for Protective Order as to MARK ANDREW MAZZA
- #21-Order as to Mark Andrew MAZZA
- Docket Download-1.30.22
In the news
- Coming soon