Watrous attended the Trump rally and followed the crowd to the Capitol. He entered after Ashli Babbitt’s shooting and felt uncomfortable. After being inside for 5 minutes, he left and sat on the Capitol steps. He then re-entered briefly a second time when a woman he met outside wanted to see what was going on.
There is no evidence he engaged in violence. He left after entering the second time and went back to his hotel.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Richard
- Last Name(s): Watrous
- Case Number: 21-cr-00627
- Arrest Location: Homer, NY
- Judge: Beryl Howell
- Entry Last Updated: 07/17/2023
- Date Docket Downloaded: 11/22/2021
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Richard Watrous's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building (1) Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building (2) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building (3) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building (4)
Richard Watrous was arrested on 9/28/21 and appeared in court on 10/5/21- placed on personal recognizance. During an arraignment on 10/22/21, he plead not guilty to all counts. On 1/14/21, he entered a plea of guilty as to count 4. Sentencing held on 4/21/2022, sentenced on Count 4 of the Information to serve a term of 36 months Probation with special conditions of intermittent confinement and home detention; a special assessment of $10.00, a fine of $2,500.00, and restitution in the amount of $500.00 ordered. Oral motion by the government for the dismissal of Counts 1, 2, and 3 of the Information, granted.
Douglas Collyer DOJ-USAO Gateway Building 14 Durkee Street Room 340 Plattsburgh, NY 12901 518-314-7800 Email: [email protected] LEAD ATTORNEY ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED Designation: Assistant U.S. Attorney
Richard Bryan Watrous's Mailing Address
Please note: Prisoner mail is reviewed by guards. Please keep messages of encouragement to a general and/or religious nature. For example, do not mention the events of Jan. 6th or other current events under criminal investigation.
- Richard Watrous Docket Sheet as of 7/17/2023
- #1-SEALED COMPLAINT as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #3-MOTION to Seal Case by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #4-ORDER granting 3 Motion to Seal Case as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS.
- #5-Arrest Warrant Returned Executed on 9.28.2021 as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #7-Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #10-NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE
- #11-ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #12-INFORMATION as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #14-STANDING ORDER. Signed by Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell on October 15, 2021
- #15-NOTICE Of Filing Discovery Request Letter by RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #16-MOTION for Order to disclose 6(e) material by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #17-NOTICE of filing of discovery status memos by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #18-Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS.
- #19-PROTECTIVE ORDER as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #21-STATUS REPORT with respect to discovery by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #22-STATUS REPORT with respect to discovery by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #24 NOTICE of filing of items incompatible with CM/ECF filing by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #26 SUBMISSION by the United States in Support of Guilty Plea by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #27-PLEA AGREEMENT as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #28-STATEMENT OF OFFENSE by USA, RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #29-WAIVER of Trial by Jury as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #30-STATUS REPORT with respect to discovery by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #34-SENTENCING MEMORANDUM by USA as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #35-SENTENCING MEMORANDUM by RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
- #36-NOTICE of supplemental filing of items incompatible
- #40-JUDGMENT as to RICHARD BRYAN WATROUS
In the news
- Coming soon