At approximately 2:21 p.m, Escalera can be seen at the front of a police barricade located
near the southwest scaffolding outside the U.S. Capitol building. Escalera entered the U.S. Capitol through the Upper West Terrace Door at approximately 2:44 p.m. There is a still image of Escalera vomiting on the floor while being aided by officers. He exited the U.S. Capitol building at approximately 3:25. There is no account of any violence committed by Escalera.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Richard
- Last Name(s): Escalera
- Case Number: 22-cr-364
- Arrest Location: Pensacola, FL
- Judge: Amit Mehta
- Entry Last Updated: 01/18/2023
- Date Docket Downloaded: 12/27/2022
- Currently Incarcerated: No
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Richard Escalera 's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds (1) Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds (2) Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building (3) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building (4)
Arrested 10/21/22. Released on personal recognizance on 10/27/22. Information filed 11/10/22. Arraignment held 12/1/22. Status Conference set for 2/3/2023 at 1:30 PM via videoconference before Judge Amit P. Mehta
Assistant United States Attorney IL Bar No. 6316768 601 D Street NW Washington, D.C. 20530 phone-(202) 252-6778 email- [email protected]
- #1 Complaint
- #1 a) Statement of Facts
- #5 Arrest Warrant, dated 10/20/2022, Returned Executed on 10/21/2022 as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA
- #6 Rule 5(c)(3) Documents Received as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA from United States District Court for the Nothern District of Florida Case Number 3:22-mj-410
- #9 ORDER Setting Conditions of Release as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA (1) Personal Recognizance. Signed by Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya on 10/27/2022
- #10 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE: Allen Howard Orenberg appearing for RICHARD J. ESCALERA
- #11 ORDER APPOINTING COUNSEL as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA. Signed by Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya on 10/28/2022
- #12 ORDER as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA: Authorization for Distribution of Available Private Funds. Signed by Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya on 10/27/2022
- #13 NOTICE of the Filing of a Letter to AUSA Kaitlan Klamann by RICHARD J. ESCALERA
- #14 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Kaitlin Klamann appearing for USA
- #15 INFORMATION as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA (1) count(s) 1, 2, 3, 4.
- #17 Unopposed MOTION for Protective Order GOVERNING DISCOVERY by USA as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA.
- #18 MOTION for Order TO DISCLOSE ITEMS PROTECTED BY FEDERAL RULE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 6(e) AND SEALED MATERIALS by USA as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA.
- #19 NOTICE OF FILING OF DISCOVERY by USA as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA
- #19 a) Memorandum in Support
- #19 b) Exhibit to Attachment 1
- #19 c) Memorandum in Support
- #19 d) Memorandum in Support
- #19 e) Memorandum in Support
- #19 f) Memorandum in Support
- #19 g) Memorandum in Support
- #20 ORDER entering  Motion for Protective Order as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA (1). See attached Order for further details. Signed by Judge Amit P. Mehta on 11/15/2022
- #21 ORDER granting  Motion for 6(e) Order as to RICHARD J. ESCALERA (1). It is ordered that the United States may provide in discovery materials protected by Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 6(e). See attached Order for additional details. Signed by Judge Amit P. Mehta on 11/15/2022.
In the news
- Coming soon