Vargas posted to his own Facebook page. In it, VARGAS is tagged “at United States Capitol,” and the photo is captioned “WE THE PEOPLE TOOK OVER THE U.S. CAPITOL. #HOLDTHELINE”: There are also multiple other pictures and videos of Vargas inside the capitol building, however no accounts of violence directed towards Capitol Police or others.
Please keep in mind that in the United States, every citizen charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
- First Name(s): Hector Emmanuel
- Last Name(s): Vargas Santos
- AKA: Hector Vargas, Hector Santos
- Case Number: 1:21-cr-47
- Arrest Location: Jersey City, NJ
- Judge: Robin M. Meriweather
- Entry Last Updated: 08/11/2021
- Date Docket Downloaded: 08/16/2021
- Support: We are not aware of any donation campaigns to help cover Hector Emmanuel Vargas Santos's legal and living expenses. If one is in place, please contact us with the details. If one is not yet in place, consider creating a donation campaign with GiveSendGo, and then send that link to us.
Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building; Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building; Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building; Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Vargas Santos was arrested on 1/19/21 and made his initial appearance on 1/22. He was charged via criminal information on 2/7 and arraigned on 2/10/21 where he pleaded not guilty to all counts. The defendant remains on a personal recognizance and has status conference set for 9/28/21 at 3:30 pm.
Michael R. Sherwin, Angela N. Buckner (Assistant United States Attorney D.C. Bar No. 1022880 555 4th Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20530 (202) 252-2656, [email protected])
In the news
- Once hailed as 'unsung hero,' ex-Marine from NJ charged in connection with the insurrection at the Capitol
- JC Times ‘Unsung Hero’ arrested after homeless donation dispute exposes alleged DV